Sunday, April 26, 2015

Nick Cave

The Nick Cave show was really amazing. The show was very brief – it only lasted about 15 minutes (which is understandable because it was really hot and those costumes were very probably really hot), but it was a really gratifying 15 minutes.

I am so glad that this went on during Spring Fest because it made for a really amazing crossover. I saw many other art students and professors at the show, but the majority of the people present were just there for the festival. I realize that many of them were unaware that this was a piece of art. It seemed like a part of the celebration and some of the people and children actually got involved and danced with the costumed dancers. I loved this because I think people generally think of art as being very serious and they associate it with art museums and galleries. Cave’s performance really showed that art can be anything and it can exist anywhere. It does not have to be serious and it can be fun and frivolous and joyful.


Watching all of the children dance with the costumed performers reminded me of what I love about art. It was able to bring together all of these people from different places. I also loved that Cave’s performance was able to get so many people involved in an artistic performance without them even knowing it. It shows that art can exist in every part of life. As crazy as the costumes were, in this setting no one was very surprised to see them there because they have likely seen similar performance before. This really reinforces the idea that art exists in many parts of our lives and that it crosses borders. Anyone can enjoy it and connect with it even when they don’t know what it is. This was art as a pure expression of life and joy and I think that everyone in the audience could feel that. It just proves to me that art represents our lives in ways that anyone can understand or relate to.

No comments:

Post a Comment